Police Clear Air on Viral Organ Harvesting Allegation in Akamkpa
By Missang Akpet
The Cross River State Police Command has refuted allegations of organ harvesting in Isong Inyang, Akamkpa Local Government Area, describing a viral video on the incident as misleading.
The Command said investigations showed that the discovery of eight corpses in the area was not linked to any organ trafficking activity.
Police authorities disclosed that a report was lodged on February 13, 2026, about bodies found in an abandoned shed near Isong Inyang Junction. Officers were deployed to the location, leading to the arrest of a 56 year old man, Sunday Reuben Ben.
According to the police, the suspect had previously worked as a mortician with Enghaut Company in Akamkpa. He allegedly managed the remains of deceased staff and, in some instances, those of their relatives that were not formally documented.
Following the closure of the company, families were contacted to claim identified corpses. However, eight bodies reportedly remained unclaimed. The suspect later moved them to a zinc structure in Isong Inyang after being asked to vacate the former premises.
Police said the shed was eventually vandalised by unknown persons, exposing the corpses and triggering speculation of organ harvesting on social media.
The Command confirmed that five of the bodies have been identified and claimed by relatives, while efforts are ongoing to establish the identities of the remaining three.
It advised residents to disregard unverified information and encouraged the public to report credible tips through the Calabar Control Room on 0705 335 5415 or the Complaint Response Unit lines on 08137083052 and 08134096900.
The Police Command reiterated its commitment to maintaining public safety and assured that investigations are continuing.

